Forgot your password?    
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Patching problem

Oracle Administrator

Patching problem

On development instance you are applying patch.But you couldnt complete it within maintainence time..then what will you do?will you up the instance without applying the patch or what will you do that time?

Same question with respect to production instance...

Expert Oracle Administrator
    In developnment instance , you would normally be able to extend the downtime .
    Prod instance - we would return the Instance and apply the patch in some other maintenance window.

I want to put some question here. If we can succeed in pacthing the apps instance without shutting down the apps tier or without using disable maintenance mode or without putting down only the apache services. And also without using option=hotpatch.

If we cannot succeed then I want to know at which phase and what kind of problem it will create? What I know that while patching the adpatch applies with copy portion, generate portion, database portion, compiledb portion and the last updating the patching history into database.

And also I want to know if the patching process has crossed the copy portion, generate portion, database portion. Why we cannot release the production instance while in the background the compiledb portion and the lastly updating the patching history is running.

And also I want to know if the patching process while running can be terminated in the middle for production instance, is safe in order to release the instance because we had exhausted our time.

Regards

Ans to Q1) We would have to use one of the two - either shutdown apps + maintenance mode or use hotpatch.

Ans to Q2)c , d , g portions will all come later - It will not even proceed to the drivers until this is satistied.

Ans to Q3) If that is what you want to do ,
    a) use hotpatch instead of getting services down - as long as your patch can be applied in hotpatch mode
    b) alternatively - use nocompiledb , release the instance after patch application & disable mmode. Then compile while services are up- But be careful - before you do this you should make sure that not many objects are invalid & if some sessions try to access an object - and you compile at the same time , it can result into problems such as library cache locks.

Ans to Q4) You CANNOT leave it midway.

Oracle Administrator
    Thanks hemant as well as masood

+ Reply to Thread