Forgot your password?    
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I want know more about CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME

I want know more about CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME

As
    I know that CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME is a dynamic parameter, It takes an integer value as its argument. The value of this parameter is the number of days that minimally must pass before any portion of the reuse section of the control file can be overwritten and reuse. The value must be between 0-365 (Days).
    Does it mean we can not update the control file record for the reuse section for the given days? And In what case we can use this and kindly describe this some more.

Expert Oracle Administrator
    CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME specifies the minimum number of days before a reusable record in the control file can be reused. Backup related entries (backups, archivelogs) are kept guaranteed, before old entries are allowed to be overwritten. It defaults to 7 (days). In the event a new record needs to be added to a reusable section and the oldest record has not aged enough, the record section expands. If this parameter is set to 0, then reusable sections never expand, and records are reused as needed.

RMAN usually uses a recovery catalog, not the control file. If you are using RMAN with just the control file and no recovery catalog, it'll totally depend on how fast you cycle through and reuse reusable records in the control file. In any case -- you can always recover manually regardless (you do not lose the ability to recover, we just might not be able to supply you the filenames)

If you backup using a recovery catalog database, the entries in the controlfile are automatically taken into the catalog (resynced). In other words: If you take backups at least once in 7 days, your controlfile information is taken into the recovery catalog automatically. Else you should do one of the following :
    a) resync manually
    b) take backups more often
    c) increase CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME accordingly

If you don't use a recovery catalog database, then set your control_file_record_keep_time to be at least one day GREATER then the period of time between your backups, else there is a chance that an archive record gets aged out during the backup which thoroughly confuses the situation.

+ Reply to Thread