Forgot your password?    
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problem with Virtual IP in RAC Installation

Expert Oracle Administrator

Problem with Virtual IP in RAC Installation

I had installed two node 10g RAC on linux 5. When ever I reboot the system I get the below message when I give crs_stat -t -v
    VIP Normal
    Name Type Target State Host
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    ora.e2.vip application OFFLINE OFFLINE e2
    ora.e2.vip application OFFLINE OFFLINE e3

To make it online I had to run vipca everytime. What is the problem, and how to solve it.

Regards

Oracle Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmasood View Post
    I had installed two node 10g RAC on linux 5. When ever I reboot the system I get the below message when I give crs_stat -t -v
    VIP Normal
    Name Type Target State Host
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    ora.e2.vip application OFFLINE OFFLINE e2
    ora.e2.vip application OFFLINE OFFLINE e3

To make it online I had to run vipca everytime. What is the problem, and how to solve it.

Regards

Oracle10g R2

Starting with Oracle10g R2, you can use the $ORA_CRS_HOME/bin/crsctl script to control CRS / Clusterware services.

Stopping CRS Stack

crsctl stop crs

Disabling CRS Stack

crsctl disable crs

This disables CRS / Clusterware services from being started in subsequent reboots.

Enabling CRS Stack

crsctl enable crs

Use this to enable CRS / Clusterware to be started in subsequent reboots.

Starting CRS Stack

crsctl start crs

Used to start CRS / Clusterware services.

The crs are enabled and automatically starts but after 10 / 15 minutes the vip unexpectedly crashes and also the asm. But when I connect to ASM instance it is working fine. After seeing the log for VIP I found below given error messages :
    2012-02-18 19:00:00.888: [ RACG][3065861824] [10533][3065861824][ora.linuxapps.vip]: Interface eth0 checked failed (host=linuxApps.localdomain)
    Invalid parameters, or failed to bring up VIP (host=linuxApps.localdomain)

And also tried many commands to check the crs such as crsctl check crs , cluvfy, crs_stat

every commands returns ok only node reacability for vip fails with cluvfy

Any suggestion

Oracle Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmasood View Post
    The crs are enabled and automatically starts but after 10 / 15 minutes the vip unexpectedly crashes and also the asm. But when I connect to ASM instance it is working fine. After seeing the log for VIP I found below given error messages :
    2012-02-18 19:00:00.888: [ RACG][3065861824] [10533][3065861824][ora.linuxapps.vip]: Interface eth0 checked failed (host=linuxApps.localdomain)
    Invalid parameters, or failed to bring up VIP (host=linuxApps.localdomain)

And also tried many commands to check the crs such as crsctl check crs , cluvfy, crs_stat

every commands returns ok only node reacability for vip fails with cluvfy

Any suggestion
    I am guessing that you have installed RAC on vmware.
    If it is so then, Your eth0 should be in bridged mode in vmware.
    Eth0 has to be bridged or you will see the following running vipca or in your vip log:

Check the Docs below for possible reasons of failure.
    1) VIPCA FAILS COMPLAINING THAT INTERFACE IS NOT PUBLIC Doc ID: Note:316583.1
    2) 10gR2 RAC Install issues on Oracle EL5 or RHEL5 or SLES10 (VIPCA Failures) Doc ID: Note:414163.1
    3) VIP Going Offline Intermittantly - Slow Response from Default Gateway Doc ID: Note:399213.1

4) CRS-0215: Could not start resource 'ora..vip' Doc ID: Note:356535.1
    During a VIP status check, your public interfaces gateway is pinged. If you don't have a gateway specified, this check will fail. If that action fails it assumes there is a problem with the Ethernet adapter interface. To resolve this, change the parameter FAIL_WHEN_DEFAULTGW_NOT_FOUND in the $ORA_CRS_HOME/bin/racgvip and set it to 0
    Last edited by Hemant; 02-21-2012 at 09:28 AM.

I tried with FAIL_WHEN_DEFAULTGW_NOT_FOUND=0. But was getting the same error. I changed the gateway IP to my host IP which it was able to ping and everything start working normally. Thanks for your guidance.

+ Reply to Thread