Forgot your password?    
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mounting Windows Shares on Linux

Expert Oracle Administrator

Mounting Windows Shares on Linux

1. First create a shared drive with full permission on windows.

2. On linux Machine execute these commands to see that share is visible, You would be doing as root user.

# /usr/bin/smbclient -L host (Host is windows machine IP or name if an entry is present in /etc/hosts on linux)
    eg:
    # /usr/bin/smbclient -L \\\\192.168.1.169

Also make sure that windows machine has one username with password which has access to open the share. It will ask for password supply windows network password.

3. Now mount the windows share as

# mkdir /WindShare

# /usr/bin/smbmount "\\\\192.168.1.169\\SharedDocs" /WindShare (This eg is in my case , It can be different in yours).

it will again ask for password. You just supply it and it will mount the share. And also this command is tested on SUSE Linux It can differ on other LINUX OS

Hi

I am using Windows 7 OS and have installed VMWare linux. while following your given guidelines i am facing issues
    i. When i use the command /usr/bin/smbclient -L //manish-pc/apps11i -U manish
    i get the error like below:
    session setup failed: SUCCESS - 0
    ii. when i try using differently that is not passing the password i get the error as

[root@localhost bin]# /usr/bin/smbclient -L \\\\manish-pc\\apps11i
    Password:
    Anonymous login successful
    Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Windows 7 Professional 7601 Service Pack 1] Server=[Windows 7 Professional 6.1]

Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    cli_rpc_pipe_open: cli_nt_create failed on pipe \srvsvc to machine manish-pc. Error was NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
    Anonymous login successful
    Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Windows 7 Professional 7601 Service Pack 1] Server=[Windows 7 Professional 6.1]

Server Comment
    --------- -------
    MANISH-PC

Workgroup Master
    --------- -------
    WORKGROUP MANISH-PC
    do you have any idea if this is a error and how i can resolve so that i may use smbclient for file transfer.
    Also , I browse for the smbmount utility in /usr/bin folder but i could't find the one.

please help

regards
    Manish Kumar

+ Reply to Thread